Until Romania's accession to European Union, you must have a private health insurance when you travel abroad unless Romania has not concluded a bilateral agreement with the country you are planning to visit. This applies to all citizens insured in the social health insurance system. However that private health insurance covers emergency care only.

The good news is that after Romania's accession to EU - if you are a citizen insured in the Romanian social health insurance system - you will be entitled to get a European Health Insurance Card. A European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) entitles you to medical assistance that becomes necessary while you are in a European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland on a temporary stay. The card gives access to public provided medical treatment only, and you will be treated on the same basis as an 'insured' person living in the country you're visiting.

Remember, this might not cover all the things you would expect to get free of charge from the Social Health Insurance System in Romania. You may have to make a contribution to the cost of your care. (For example, in Germany, if the German residents have to pay a co-payment of 10 EUR per hospital day for the first 20 hospital days per year, the Romanian residents will be charged accordingly if its happen to seek hospitalization in Germany during their temporary stay). In some of the member states you have to pay up-front and following you have to claim the money back from the local health insurance house. However, only the health providers that have concluded agreements with their social health insurance system are recognizing the EHIC. If you use a private doctor you will be charged but may be entitled to a partial refund.

The card will be issued by your Health Insurance House. In order to get the EHIC, you have to address a request to your insurer (HIH). They will process the request and if you are insured you will receive the card. The card is valid for six months and is not free of charge. There is an issuing fee which will have to be settled by the NHIH. Under exceptionally circumstance if the card is not available and have to travel in one of the EEA countries or Switzerland, and you need medical assistance on your temporary stay there, your Health Insurance House will send to the health provider provisional replacement certificate valid for the duration of the travel.

One EHIC is needed for each individual or member of the family.

Why should I apply for the European Health Insurance Card?